Saturday, March 03, 2007

Spinning So Totally Rocks!

That was the best day ever! I had a great time at my spinning class -- I learned a lot. I am glad, though, that I've been playing with my drop spindle for the last couple of weeks. It really helped understanding how to draft the wool, etc. The first thing I learned was "teasing" the wool. It had been cleaned, but you still have to pick out all the little bits and pieces of straw/grass. Then I learned how to use the hand carders to work the fibre into workable pieces of roving. Boy, as a knitter, do I ever appreciate the work that goes into spinning workable yarn!!!

I rented a Louet S10 wheel until the end of June. It cost $20.00 to rent the wheel, three bobbins, and a set of handcarders until the end of June. Pretty reasonable...plus it will let me know if, down the road, I would like to invest in my own wheel. I can tell you right now...it's most likely a, "you better believe I will" kinda response.


While there, I spun two bobbins of singles and then learned how to ply them together. I got about 23 yards of that skein. Tonight I finished plying another 26 yards. I'm kinda really most definitely loving the spinning! I think tonight I will be working a treadle in my sleep!! :)

I am pretty tired after today's exciting events. My baby girl woke up at 6 a.m. this morning with a bad nightmare and didn't want to go back to sleep. I was too excited about my class to even think about sleeping, so I stayed up with her. Suffice it to say, I'm beat. I usually stay up and watch Saturday Night Live, but I don't know if I'll make it tonight. Eyes are getting droopy as we speak...

Well, time to tuck my girl into bed for the night. Good night loverly peoples...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your spinning success. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I could not handle the spindle until after I had learned on the wheel, for some reason. Now I understand and appreciate both methods.

But it took awhile.

Sheepish Annie said...

Nice job!!! The whole process is just so addictive. I never had a class or anything so I had to learn through trial, error and the internet. Looking back, I wish I'd gotten a bit of instruction before I leapt in!