Sunday, March 18, 2007

Kool-Aid Fun

Warning: this post may be picture-heavy...

I've finished spinning the fibre I got from my spinning class. I received a bag full of washed Arcott fibre from my class. I finished plying the last bit last night so I decided to venture into dyeing. So yesterday, I bought a bunch of packets of Kool-Aid to give it a try. My hubby was a bit disappointed the aforementioned Kool-Aid was to be sacrificed to the dyeing gods instead of for him...but I must say the results were kind of neat.
A basket full of woolery-goodness!!!

The first skein I tried was the handspun Finn top roving I bought for my b'day.Before picture
It was spun and plied using my drop spindle. It turned out to be kind of a brick-merlot kind of colour.
After picture #1
So there is approx. 53 yds (50 g) of that colour.
After picture #2: In the sunshine

The next two smaller skeins I did turned out to be like an icy-blue varigated with bits of green and cream and a darker blue.After picture #1 (icy blue)
That was with the Arcott fibre spun on the wheel.
Before picture (Arcott fibre)
In total I have about 57 yds (approx 50 g) of that colour.
After picture #2 (icy blue): In the sun

I have bought dye from the wool shop, but need separate cooking pots for that. So I decided to try the Kool-Aid method first. I'm pretty pleased with the results and I am now trying to figure out what to make with it all. I want to knit up a simple project using the home-spun wool that I can take for "Show & Tell" for my next Spinners Guild meeting (last Monday of March). Any suggestions???
Da-lovely!

Well, that is all for tonight. I have to get a few things done before bedtime. Tomorrow my baby girl is back at school, so that means my holiday from cleaning is now over. :( It's back to the grind for this Cinderella. See you again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

Funny...I've done a lot of dyeing, but I've never tried Kool-aid! I keep meaning to, but never get around to it.

Yours came out beautifully!