Friday, September 11, 2009

I Don't Tweet...*gasp*

Hello All,

So, as some of you may or may not know, I don't trust robots! I have claimed they will take over the world some day -- and you can take that to the bank. In fact, I have recently been told that I am a Luddite. And after doing a bit of review, I think I would concur with that statement. I really do not like technology: I have a Facebook account, but I rarely check-in (yes...*gasp*...there are some people in the world that can get along just fine without checking in every five minutes to make sure nothing new has happened, or whatever they seek to find); I have never checked out Twitter (I don't need to know that you picked your nose five minutes ago and the bleeding just won't stop); I truly hate cell phones (I mean, what phone call is so important that you have to answer your cell in the middle of the freezer section in Costco!); I've never owned a PDA (since I prefer to handwrite all my to-do lists...anything else is just, well, wrong!); and what is up with people downloading books to read on their i-phones? Do they not know there is nothing better than the feel of an old book in your hand (not to mention the great "old-book smell"!).

Perhaps it is because I am a tactile person. I love the feel of something real in my hand -- the silkiness of a child's hair, the rough texture of my dog's coat, the buttery-goodness of alpaca mixed with wool or other loverly fibres. I suppose I'm a bit old-school. I have no desires for new technology. Okay, yes, the internet is a valuable tool and I love that my house is heated because someone took the time to invent the furnace. But when it comes to these other things, I just can't get on board. I've had a couple friends and family members try to give me the hard-sell on the importance of technology and the advances it could make in my life. But in the end, I would rather sit curled up on the couch on a snowy day, wrapped in a blanket with a steamy cup of chai tea at hand, and a wonderful novel in my other hand. Or my latest knitting project. But this world is free of beeping noises that can drive a person crazy if they are left unattended to.

So I am proud to say, I don't tweet...and my life is richer than I ever thought it would be!

1 comment:

kathmo said...

you're so right!